The idea of putting on a lawn party for friends and family can be overwhelming at first. However, once you get started, you will find that throwing an outdoor soiree is easier than you thought. In fact, if you follow these simple tips, you can plan a party worthy of the Great Gatsby himself!
- Prepare the environment. The first step in throwing a lawn party is to prepare the lawn itself. Cut the grass and remove all debris, or consider investing in synthetic turf to create a perfectly-manicured lawn.
- Get some help. Throwing a party by yourself is nearly impossible. Recruit some friends to come to your house early and help you get things ready. Take the stress out of the air by turning on the stereo and sampling some of the night’s culinary delights.
- Create your venue. As with any indoor party, your lawn party requires some set-up. Bring some chairs, benches, tables or other seating options out to your yard. Cover any tables with linen to create a more elegant atmosphere. If you want to make the environment even more inviting, toss some cushions or pillows on chairs and benches. Place some cushions on the ground if you need more seating.
- Bring out supplies. Transport your tableware, decor and other supplies from the house to the yard. To reduce the number of trips required, consider placing items in large bins or baskets.
- Set the mood. If you have shrubs and/or trees in your yard, wrap some white lights around them to create a soft, elegant lighting scheme.
- Incorporate fresh flowers. Since your party’s venue is outdoors, decorate your lawn with greenery and fresh flowers. You may be able to find these items in your own garden or from a local retailer.
- Prepare the food. Choose culinary offerings that can be prepared in advance, and do as much work ahead of time as possible. Opt for a buffet setting to save yourself some work.
- Say “no” to bugs. To eliminate insects from the area, place some tiki torches and/or citronella candles near seating areas. However, avoid placing candles or torches near food, as this can affect the taste.
- Enjoy the party. After all of the preparations are complete, it’s time to mingle with your guests and enjoy the evening!